Frequently Asked Questions

How do I get into university?

To get into a New Zealand university you must pass examinations at high school.  You will need to pass at least 3 subjects at Year 13 level.  You will also need to pass some papers in Year 12 English and Y11-13 Mathematics.  For more information, click here.

Can I extend my 1 year NZ visa if I decide to stay longer?

Yes, we can help you to do this.  It is easy to do and you can do this at Hutt Valley high School.

Will my homestay family look after me?

Yes, our homestay families are excellent.  Most have been hosting students from HVHS for many years.  We carefully check all our new homestay families to make sure that they meet our high standards.  They are also checked by New Zealand Police.  Click here for more information about homestays at HVHS.

Do I have to stay in a homestay?

We want all our international students to have a Kiwi Experience to help improve their English.  All our international students stay with New Zealand families.  International students at HVHS do not stay in hostels or in apartments or flats with other students.

Can I see New Zealand while at HVHS?

We take all our new international students to OPC.  This included in your tutorial payment.  Many international students also study Year 13 Geography.  Geography have many trips around New Zealand including a 5 day study trip to Rotorua.

Must I have medical insurance?

Yes, all international students must have medical and travel insurance for their time in NZ.  We can arrange insurance for you.  Click here for more information.

Is ESOL (English) tuition included in the tuition fee?

Yes, you don’t need to pay more money for ESOL classes at HVHS.  We have an excellent ESOL programme that helps students learn English and prepares them for university study.  Click here for more information about ESOL.

Can international students take music lessons?

Yes, many of our international students take music lessons or join our many choirs, bands, music groups or our orchestra.  Click here for more information.

Can I play sports at HVHS?

Yes, we have a huge number of sports teams at HVHS.  Our sports teams are top performers in local and national competitions.  Click here for more information.  Read about Allison who came from the USA to play rugby.

Is it possible to study subjects at more than one level?

Yes, the Director of ESOL will assess your English ability when you arrive.  It is often possible for a student to study at a range of levels.  For example, many students may be capable of studying mathematics at a more advanced level.  However, we have had great experience at giving students a study programme that will help them achieve their goals.  We will advise you on the best path of study after assessing your English level and looking at your record of study from your previous school. 

Can I work while on a student visa?

NZ Immigration rules allow senior students (year 12 & 13) to work up to 20 hours a week.  You will need to apply to NZ Immigration to do this.  We will help you with your application.  However, you need to talk with your parents before you get a job.  Your parents may want you to concentrate on your studies at school.

What should I do if I am unhappy about anything in my homestay or at school?

You should talk to the International Student Manager as soon as possible.  We are here to help and we have had many years experience looking after our international students.  Don’t wait – talk to us.

If the problem remains, talk to the Director of International Students, and if you are still unhappy, see the Principal.